I am a Senior Lecturer (Assoc. Prof) in the Department of War Studies, King’s College London, where I teach MA courses and supervise PhD students in areas broadly related to violence, conflict, security, development and Africa. I am on research leave during 2017-2018.
I convene or teach on the following MA modules:
- 7SSWM069 Approaches to Understanding Violence and Atrocity in Civil Wars
- 7SSWM140 Conflict, Security & Development
- 7SSWM171 Comparative Civil Wars
- 7SSWM071 Gender in International Politics and Security
- 7SSWM082 Political Violence, Counterterrorism and Human Rights
- 6SSW3004 War and International Politics in Africa (BA)
I currently supervise the following PhD students:
- Cristal Downing – Lead supervisor
Re-entry to Society or Re-entry to War: Factors Affecting Children’s Participation and Longevity in the Reintegration Programme in Colombia.
- Hannah Goozee – Lead supervisor (ESRC-funded LISS-DTP)
Trauma and Truth and Reconciliation Commissions: South Africa.
- Ashley Jackson – Lead supervisor
The Art of the Deal: Civilian-Insurgent Bargaining in Afghanistan
- Francesca Mercurio – Joint lead supervisor (KCL/USP, Brazil)
- Jessica Moody – Lead supervisor (ESRC-funded)
What is the relationship between reintegration and reconciliation in post-conflict Cote d’Ivoire?
- Tony Manganello – Joint lead supervisor
Indigenous Attitudes Toward U.S. Intelligence and Military Operations in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Case Study of Kenya.
- Katy Thornton – Lead supervisor (AHRC-funded Collaborative Doctoral Partnership with Imperial War Museum)
The influence of contemporary culture on young combatants in West Africa (1989–2003), explored through the archives of ‘trans-media’ journalist Tim Hetherington
- John Ubani Jr – Lead supervisor
Intra-Military and Ethno-Regional Dynamics of Military Withdrawal from Politics in Nigeria – 1999 and Beyond.
- Nikki Cade – Second supervisor
Rio’s mega-events and the socio-cultural impacts on marginalized host communities
- Abdul Wando – Second supervisor
The Historical Role of Non-Governmental Organisations and Aid in addressing Violent Religious Extremism and the Boko Haram insurgency in Borno, Nigeria (1960-2020)
Please visit my KCL Pure page for the details of former doctoral candidates under my supervision.