Opinion Pieces & Blog Posts
War by Another Name? The ‘Urban Turn’ in 21st Century Violence
T.note Vol. 59, Human Security Issue 7 – 23 April 2018
On urban violence, arguments over definitions of war, and challenges facing urban development and (in)security in the 21st century. (download)
Sierra Leone est un petit pays avec de gros problèmes
Libération, Africa4 – 22 April 2018
On Sierra Leone’s new president Bio and the challenges his government and the country faces (in French and English).
Guerra con un altro nome? La violenza urbana nel XXI secolo
Human Security N. 6 – March 2018
On urban violence, arguments over definitions of war, and challenges facing urban development and (in)security in the 21st century (in Italian).
And what for future generations in Sierra Leone?
Africa is a Country – 26 March 2018
Co-auothored with Jamie Hitchen ahead of Sierra Leone’s 31st March 2018 run-off vote, on youth, politics, violence and hope in Sierra Leone.
Generation Terrorists: The Politics of Youth and the Gangs of Freetown
Mats Utas Blog – 26 February 2018
Extended piece about Sierra Leone’s elections, sharing initial findings on the emerging (and drastically under-researched) gang-scene in the country.
Other Select Publications
- War by Another Name? The ‘Urban Turn’ in 21st Century Violence
T.note Vol. 59, Human Security Issue 7 – 23 April 2018 (download)
- ‘Guerra con un altro nome? La violenza urbana nel XXI secolo’
- Human Security No. 6, March 2018.
- ‘A Pragmatic Pact: Reconciliation and Reintegration in Sierra Leone’, in Kirsten Ainley, Rebekka Friedman & Chris Mahony (eds) Evaluating Transitional Justice: Accountability and Peacebuilding in Post-Conflict Sierra Leone (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015)
- ‘Where is the War? Explaining Peace in Sierra Leone.’ International Peacekeeping, Vol. 30, Issue 3, 2013. (download)
- ‘Irrational Actors and the Process of Brutalisation: Understanding Atrocity in the Sierra Leonean Conflict (1991–2002).’(download)
Civil Wars, Vol. 14, Issue 1, March 2012.
- ‘Rearmament, Remobilisation and Disintegration in Sierra Leone.’
Conflict Security and Development Research Group, King’s College London (2010).
- ‘Engaging disengagement: The political reintegration of Sierra Leone’s Revolutionary United Front’ in Reintegrating Armed Groups after Conflict: Politics, Violence and Transition, Mats Berdal & David Ucko, eds. (Abingdon: Routledge, May 2009).(download)
- ‘Reconstructing Trust in Sierra Leone.’
The Round Table, Volume 98, Issue 403, August 2009(download)
- ‘Engaging Disengagement: The Political Reintegration of Sierra Leone’s
Revolutionary United Front.’
Conflict, Security and Development, Volume 8, Issue 2, June 2008 (download) (1)